Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Don’t you just love Rice Krispie Treats? I know I’m obsessed with the things. They’re so easy to make an have endless combinations. They’re perfect for almost any occasion and are great for those with gluten allergies, since Rice Krispies are naturally GF!
These birthday cake Rice Krispie Treats are absolute perfection for celebrating another revolution around the sun. Plus they’re easily shareable which makes them even easier for birthday parties.
Tips on Making Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
The order you make the batches in matters! Unless you want to do more dishes than necessary, make sure that you make the vanilla Rice Krispie part BEFORE the chocolate bottoms.
The cocoa powder will simply cover up any of the original Rice Krispies and your bottoms will still look perfect. However if you make the vanilla part after the bottoms, you’re going to end up with a muddy looking cupcake.
As long as you work quickly and don’t take a snack break in between each batch, you’re not going to have to worry about the vanilla cupcake tops cooling. They will still be workable.
Cut your butter into pieces before adding it to the saucepan. This will make you butter melt faster and more evenly and reduce any chance of browning.
Use a kitchen scale to weigh out your marshmallows. Most bags of mini marshmallows are 10 oz so you are welcome to eyeball half a bag for the chocolate and vanilla mixtures, but there’s of course always risk to that.
The recipe is correct. We are using 1 full TABLESPOON of vanilla extract. That extra vanilla-y flavor is what gives these cupcake tops the delicious birthday feel.
I understand that using a full tablespoon of true vanilla extract might be a little pricey. No worries, you can definitely use imitation vanilla. I’ve used the real thing and the imitation and there’s really not much of a difference.
Spray your hands with some non stick spray or rub them with a bit of butter before shaping the cupcakes. This will prevent everything from becoming a sticky, miserable glob.
Also, don’t forget spray that spoon you use to press the Cocoa Krispies into the pan with too!
Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to make your cupcake tops. Again, just make sure you spray them with some non stick spray or grease in some butter first!
You’ll get better leverage and will be able to press the top and bottoms together with ease.
You can use a tablespoon measuring spoon but it just doesn’t turn out as pretty. They’ll look more awkward and definitely not quite how you want them to.
Stick a candle in them and make sure you sing happy birthday bad enough to embarrass the birthday boy/girl.
Materials You’ll Need for Your Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispies (Duh…)
- Cocoa Krispies
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract/Imitation Vanilla
- Rainbow Jimmies Sprinkles
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Muffin Tin
- Silicone Spatulas (better than wooden spoons are they are more stick resistant)
- Cookie Scoop
- Kitchen Scale (optional but helpful)
- Super Cool Birthday Candles
Related Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 cups Rice Krispie Treats Original
- 3 cups Cocoa Pebbles
- 10 oz marshmallows
- ½ cup sprinkles
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Grease a mini muffin tin with some butter or non stick spray. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter to a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 5 oz of marshmallows stir until melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the original Rice Krispies and sprinkles. Fold in the melted marshmallows and set aside.
- Place the pan back on the stove and add the rest of the butter, marshmallows, and the tbsp of cocoa powder. Mix until melted and combined.
- In another mixing bowl, add your Cocoa Pebbles and fold in your chocolate marshmallow mixture.
- Grease a tablespoon and press a tablespoon of the Cocoa Pebbles into the mini muffin tin.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop your cupcake top onto the tops of the Cocoa Pebble Base.
- Allow to cool for about an hour. Pop out of the muffin tin with a butter knife and enjoy!
If you’re still hesitating on testing out these delicious mini birthday cake Rice Krispie Treats, stop that. You’re going to love them – especially how easy they are to make. So get your marshmallows out and get ready to make someone’s (birth)day sweet!
And since you’re still here, why not check out some of our other dessert recipes to enjoy all the handheld sweets you can imagine!
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would love this easy spring recipe!? Share this post with them!